3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup cooked diced meat (ex. sausage, bacon, roasted chicken)
1 cup dice veggies of your choosing (ex. onion, pepper, Brussels sprouts, kale, mushroom)
1 cup diced apple insides
3 garlic cloves, diced
½ tablespoon fresh thyme
½ tablespoon fresh oregano
1 teaspoon salt
Shredded cheese for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cut a thin slice off the tops and bottoms of your apples. With a melon baller or sturdy spoon, scoop out the insides of the apples, leaving a 1/2 inch thick wall of apple on all of the sides and the bottom. Discard the bits of core and dice the remaining apple insides.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the meat, vegetables, diced apple, herbs, garlic, and salt to the pan. Cook, stirring often, until the ingredients are heated all the way through and any uncooked veggies are softening. While the filling is cooking, smear the remaining tablespoon of olive oil around the inside and outside of each of the apples and place them in a baking dish.
- When the filling has cooked, remove it from heat and spoon equal amounts into the cavities of the apples. Pack the filling in firmly. Bake the apples for 25-30, add cheese to the top of the apples and bake them for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Watermelon Radish Salad with Avocado Vinaigrette
1 avocado, halved lengthwise, pitted and diced
¼ cup olive oil
1 head romaine lettuce
1 watermelon radish, very thinly sliced
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 shallot (or ¼ large yellow onion and one garlic clove) finely diced
1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 ½ tablespoons white wine vinegar
Salt to taste
- In a small bowl, stir together the shallot, lemon juice, vinegar, and a pinch of salt. Gently stir in the avocado, season with salt and let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in the olive oil.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce, radish, and cilantro. Stir in the vinaigrette and drizzle over the salad. Toss gently and season with salt and more lemon juice, if needed.. Serve immediately. Yields 4 servings.