Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
1 pound spaghetti, or your favorite pasta
1 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 small or 1 medium-large zucchini thinly sliced & quartered
⅔ cup peas
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 sprigs thyme
Salt & pepper to taste
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
¼ cup milk
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat, combine 4 ½ cups water, spaghetti, mushrooms, zucchini, peas, garlic & thyme sprigs. Season with salt & pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until pasta is cooked through and liquid has reduced, about 8-10 minutes. Don’t be afraid to strain out excess water.
- Stir in cheese & milk until creamy. Serve immediately.
Millet Couscous with Carrots
Cook Time: 45 minutes
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
1 cup millet (or whole grain of your choice like brown rice, farro, barley, etc.)
2 ¼ cups of low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
6 medium carrots, peeled, cut into 1” pieces
Salt & pepper
¼ cup roasted almonds, chopped (optional)
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves with tender stems
Lemon wedges (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add grain and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until grain is tender, 25-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss carrots with 2 tbsp. Oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt & pepper. Roast until tender and golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat; cook almonds and cayenne, stirring occasionally until fragrant, 2 minutes.
- Serve drizzled with oil and topped with roasted carrots, cilantro and roasted almonds.