Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
4 ½ cups water
1 cup steel cut oats
¼ cup pomegranate seeds
1 tangerine, segmented
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup skim milk or non-dairy milk
3 tablespoons pepitas or other nuts or seeds (sunflower, almonds, cashews. etc.)
¼ cup maple syrup or honey
Bring water and salt to a boil. Whisk in grains and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often for 35 to 40 minutes. Top with milk pomegranate seeds, pepitas, tangerine, and syrup/honey. Serve immediately. Make double the oatmeal in advance and prep breakfast for the week! Just reheat when you’re ready to eat!
Avocado Banana Smoothie
Prep Time: 10 minutes
1 large frozen banana (ripe, peeled & sliced)
½ medium ripe avocado (more avocado = creamier, thicker smoothie)
1 heaping tablespoon yogurt or protein powder (optional)
1 large handful of choice (spinach, kale chard, etc.)
¾ cup milk or dairy-free milk
- Add frozen banana, avocado, protein powder or yogurt (optional), greens and milk of your choice.
- Blend on high until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed. If smoothie is too thick, add more milk. If too thin, add more avocado or banana if too thin. Add honey or more banana for sweetness.
Delicata Squash, Carrot, and Green Bean Roast
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
1 medium head of garlic
Extra-virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper
1 bunch of carrots, peeled & trimmed
1 large parsnip peeled and trimmed
1 large delicata squash, halved lengthwise, seeds removed and reserved
2 cups green beans, eds trimmed as needed
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut off the top of the head of garlic to expose all of the cloves. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper, wrap tightly with folk. Roast in middle of oven until soft, about 40 minutes. Turn oven up to 425 F.
- Slice carrots & parsnips into 3-inch lengths. Cut squash into half-moons. Combine in a bowl and toss with oil to coat. Season with salt & pepper. Spread veggies onto baking sheet. Place in oven for 10 minutes. Toss the green beans in oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Remove baking sheet from oven and stir, adding green beans. Return to the oven and roast for 15-20 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Rinse the squash seeds, lightly coat them with olive oil, season with salt & pepper and sprinkle with smoked paprika. Roast for 5-7 minutes in a small oven-proof pan, or until the seeds are golden brown.
- Prepare the dressing by squeezing the garlic cloves out of their skins into a bowl. Mash them with a fork, them mix in the lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Whisk in the olive oil until the mixture is emulsified. Toss the vegetables with prepared dressing and top with squash seeds.
Click here to download a PDF of this week's recipes!